clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Wigan 2-0 QPR

Latics final game of August was the best of the lot. Coming into the game we had failed to win one, but remained unbeaten having played two of the three promoted clubs. So came the turn of QPR. The winners of the Championship last season, and had made all the right noises in the summer.

However they suffered a thrashing at the hands of Bolton on the first day. Managing to turn that round and beat Everton last weekend 1-0. So coming into this game they were ready to push on. But so were we.

The game started at a high fast tempo with Latics interchanging some quick passes and within three minutes, after a great run by Rodallega. Wigan had a free kick on the edge of the box. Up stepped Gomez who is a free kick specialist. The Spaniard placing the ball top right corner, the ball scrapping the cross-bar. Good start by the Latics.

QPR responded and started to get into the game. Adel Taarabt who has looked quiet the past few games, twice hit the wood work mid way through the second half, as QPR saw more of the ball, but were really unable to slice through a strong Wigan back line.

Although Latics were seeing more of the ball, actually reaching the goal was hard. Moses managed to slice through the defence twice. But both crosses went agonizingly close to being turned in before a QPR player cleared the ball away.

Latics however also nearly let in a goal themselves. A well whipped in free kick by Taarabt beat everybody, to the relief of the Wigan players as the ball whizzed past Ali's far post.

It took till late on in the half for the deadlock to be broken. Some great build up play from Latics, quick sharp passing, with movement all over the pitch. The ball found Rodallega up front, playing the ball back to Di Santo, who's touch saw the ball lift off the grown. The Argentinian striker hit the ball, as the DW Stadium saw it fly into Paddy Kenny's top right hand corner. 1-0 Wigan and in control of the game.

Into added time and QPR could have drawn level. A free kick given away by Caldwell, Taarabt stepped up and smashed the ball hard and straight. The ball hit Watson on the head and saw it change direction towards the left hand post. Ali quickly changed direction and dived to push the ball onto the left hand side post.

But Gomez who had a very good game yet again, came close with seconds to spare. Breaking away after the ball hit the post Gomez ran into the box and tried to flick it into the left hand corner, only for it to deflect of Hall and go just wide for a corner.

The second half started and QPR, wanted to get back into the game. A foul is given for QPR, free kick edge of the box, as Buzsaky hit it, the ball went high and wide of the goal. While a QPR corner minutes later, flashes across the face of goal and out for a goal kick.

With QPR starting to threaten Latics push on back into the game. Di Santo, Rodallega and Moses all linking up with each other as the QPR defence don't know which way to turn. Gomez has the first best chance for Wigan of the second half, but his shot was blocked and went out for a corner.

While Di Santo, who was boosted from scoring earlier popped up twice. First wide on the right hand side of the box and his shot was parried away by Kenny. While another chance around 12-yards out, just rolled wide after a good ball through from Rodallega.

Coming of Age for Di Santo

Wigan were starting to muscle QPR put of the game. But some good passing and moving from the Londoners could have done better had Agyemang been better positioned to take the ball through onto goal. Latics weren't totally having it their own way.

Good build up play on the left hand side of the QPR box, saw Boyce roll a ball across the 18-yard box. Di Santo ran and took the ball of the toes of Rodallega who was poised to strike. Franco then turned on the spot and smashed a ball high and over the keeper into the top right hand side of the goal. 2-0 Latics and Di Santo's first double in english football.

Shortly after the goal, a tired Moses and hero Di Santo departed from the feel to loud roars, while James McArthur and Connor Sammon joined the fray.

QPR winning a corner with ten minutes to go as the game is hotting up. Another well delivered set piece is headed by Perone, who hit the underside of the crossbar. That bit of luck which in previous seasons, Latics haven't had.

Wigan were happy to hold onto the ball and run down time. Sammon and Rodallega running into the corners and pushing the game wide, to slow down QPR attacks, which by the last few minutes turned into long-range efforts.

So there it is our first win of the Premier League season 11/12. It has been coming and is very well deserved by the lads who has worked hard over the past month. As we come out of August undefeated, only conceded one and having scored three.

We also have a new striker called Franco Di Santo, whose performances over the past three games have been top-notch. His two goal today show what he can do, and I am sure every Wigan fan is now looking for more from the Argentinian striker.