clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Wigan 0-3 Manchester City

Could we have expected any thing other than a defeat? Really we played well and could have got something from the game. But as is the way with great teams, and City are becoming one, they can pull out results even on their worse of days.

The game didn't go well from the start, and after thirteen minutes where City had comfortable possession, David Silva teed Aquero to put the ball past Ali. 1-0, and City hadn't broken sweat, it looked like it could be a thrashing.

Di Santo almost got us back level two minutes later. Hart and Lesscot mix up, allowed Latics Argentinian striker through. His prod to goal went agonizingly wide, chances there as usual but not clinical enough, same story.

It could have gotten even worse inside twenty minutes, when David Silva was tripped by a Lopez leg. Carloz Tevez, who was back in the City side-stepped up. A weak penalty from the striker, giving Ali a good save and keeping Wigan in the game, for the time being.

It could have been four or five to the blue half of Manchester before half time, but by sheer luck or poor finishing on City's half, it stayed 1-0. Aquero curling the ball wide twice of the Latics goal, while Richards was put through by Tevez, before hitting the underside of the bar.

But with five minutes to go, City didn't have it all their own way.

First Moses off a free kick could have headed the ball home. His connection on the ball saw it fly wide of the goal. Rodallega was given time and space 25 yards out, and Hart had to see it just go over the bar. Signs were getting a bit more promising for Latics.

And with seconds to go before half time, we should have equalized. Di Santo got through on goal with Hart after a deflected shot. However England's number 1 goalkeeper closed the striker down.

Second half Latics now thinking to go for it? Not exactly. Eighteen minutes in to the second half, after holding out well against City attacks. Nasri who had just came on for Tevez provided the spark for Aguero to score his second of the day. Wigan head's dropped.

Only three minutes later Aquero was at it again. This time Silva provided the assist for the Argentina to get his hatrick. It wasn't looking good for Latics.

But Aquero's departure shortly after scoring his third killed City's game. Chances became few and far between for either side, but Wigan got control of the ball and went on the attack. Nothing really came of the Wigan possession, as City sat back to close the game out.

What could have been a thrashing, was no more than a slightly heavy defeat. Wigan never really got into the game much and it always looked like City would win the game. However we caused problems for the City defence which has to be a plus.

Another plus in away is only conceding three. Had we play city like this last season I think we would have leaked more goals, but we kept it as tight as we could against a strong attacking force, and we even got a fair share of possession.

So lots of pluses to take from the game and it is always better to look forward after a defeat than backwards.