clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Southampton 0-2 Wigan Athletic

Franco Di Santo of Wigan celebrates scoring their first goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Southampton and Wigan Athletic at St Mary's Stadium.
Franco Di Santo of Wigan celebrates scoring their first goal during the Barclays Premier League match between Southampton and Wigan Athletic at St Mary's Stadium.

Well it was going to be a hard game, and that is how it proved to be on Saturday. Yet we came out the victories side, courtesy of great midfield play and our goalkeeper being in his usual outstanding self. But on the English bank holiday weekend, Wigan banked their first three points of the season, in what looks like a comfortable game, but it was far from that.

The first half alone showed that it wasn't all one sided, as both teams battled it out in the midfield. With both defenses having to be sharp and alert. Ali Al Habis having to make the first save of the day from Adam Lallana by tipping over a fizzing strike, which was heading into the top corner.

Wigan's best chance came through Maynor Figueroa, who kept is place in the left wing back position. The Honduran had switched the play to Emmerson Boyce, before Boyce pumped the ball back into the box for Figueroa to shot toward the goal. Southampton defender Fonte blocked the ball away.

The rest of the first half chances came through Southampton. Rickie Lambert the main threat weaving in between our defender, Ali Al Habsi was at full stretch to denial the player what would have been a great goal.

It was an entertaining first half which was only lacking a goal. One of the most interesting things from the first half, was the interchangeable ability of Kone and Franco di Santo. Both of who looked good together as a working partnership, you get the feeling that the two could work well together. And that was to come in the second half.

Southampton would get the first chance of the half. Rickie Lambert again getting in the right place, to connect with the ball and head it toward Ali's goal. Yet the Omanian keeper dealt with it comfortably. Yet it was to be Wigan with the decisive chance.

Emmerson Boyce getting the ball wide, found a free Shaun Maloney in the middle of the park. From there the Scotsman managed to feed a Franco di Santo free in the box. The Argentinian last season would have blasted the ball high and wide this time last year. Yet he was ready and instead managed to ping the ball perfectly into the top right hand corner of the goal.

1-0 and it was possibly against the run of play. Yet the chance was well created.

Southampton weren't for giving up though, and that man was at it again. Rickie Lambert first was provider his cross finding a man free in the box. The header left Ali Al Habsi planted, but only struck the bar. The next chance came from a fizzing shot from Lambert that had to be welled saved by Al Habsi.

Wigan though would strike again, and it would be late on. Arouna Kone to score on his first full debut. The Ivorian winning the ball on the half way line, before striding towards the goal, and place the ball past Kelvin Davis.

2-0 and that really did make it an unfair score line. The game end shortly after the Kone goal. So Southampton had no chance of a reply.

Yet a clean sheet and two goals, from two strikers, and Wigan have to be happy with their days work.