clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Wigan Athletic F.C. vs. Bolton Wanderers F.C. - The Match Report

New Wigan manager, Uwe Rosler, claimed his first victory for the Latics in his first league game against rivals Bolton in a five goal thriller at the DW Stadium.

Clint Hughes

Wigan Athletic F.C. vs. Bolton Wanderers F.C.

Date: Sunday 15th December 2013

Venue: The DW Stadium

Referee: Kevin Friend

Score: 3-2

New Wigan manager, Uwe Rosler, claimed his first victory for the Latics in his first league game against rivals Bolton in a five goal thriller at the DW Stadium.

Wigan took the lead through Ben Watson’s penalty after 11 minutes before Nick Powell made it 2-0 with a world class overhead kick.

Bolton fought their way back into the game as Neil Danns scored a simple goal before Andre Moritz levelled after 64 minutes with the second penalty of the day.

Wigan managed to quash this Bolton fight back just four minutes later as Callum McManaman (back to his brilliant best) made it 3-2 to the Latics with a finish from ten yards.

Wigan were transformed from the side that found themselves 3-0 down after just half an hour against Derby County two weeks ago. Rosler has them playing, after just a week in charge, a fast-paced, attacking style of football that Bolton simply could not handle in the opening 30 minutes.

McManaman was finding himself on the ball a lot more and even Watson was beginning to put more balls into the box. And it was a Watson cross that won Wigan their penalty.

Watson crossed exquisitely and Grant Holt leaped above the rest to head the ball against Matt Mills. An outstretched arm connected with the ball and after some deliberation the referee gave the penalty. It was Watson who stepped up to put Wigan 1-0 up.

Then, after a continued amount of Wigan pressure, Powell scored an unbelievable overhead kick. McManaman went past three Bolton defenders with ease and passed to Chris McCann whose attempted shot deflected off another Bolton defender for Powell to bicycle kick into the net.

After Wigan’s second goal, however, Bolton grew into the game and became the dominant team despite looking non-existent for the opening half an hour.

Scott Carson was forced into a few brilliant saves and Bolton’s number 27, Chung-Yong Lee, looked increasingly dangerous towards the end of the first half.

The half finished with Leon Barnett heading a shot off the line.

It took Bolton only four minutes to score their first goal after the restart as Carson pushed away a Moritz free kick for the ball to be crossed back into the danger area and headed in from close range by Danns.

There was a renewed confidence about both the Bolton team and the Bolton fans as they continued to push for an equaliser.

This equaliser came in the form of a penalty. Emmerson Boyce carelessly raised his foot above the accepted height and Lee did not need to be asked twice to go down in the box. After a couple of minutes of Wigan anger, Moritz converted the spot kick.

Despite this renewed energy from Bolton, it was Wigan that scored what was to be the winner. Just four minutes after Bolton’s equaliser McManaman scored to make it 3-2 to the Latics. A James McClean corner found its way to Boyce who passed the ball to McManaman to score the winner from close range.

If Rosler can raise the fitness levels of the Wigan squad then they have every chance of making the playoffs this season. They were better all over the pitch and goodness only knows just what Coyle was doing with the players in training.