- Thomas Rogne injured his back in the game against Dundee United last Saturday and was expected to rejoin the squad late this week but is doubtful for the game against Barnsley.
- Juan Carlos Garcia is not expected to have completed his work permit procedures so probably will not play.
- Gary Caldwell (hip), Ivan Ramis (cruciate ligament), and Ali Al-Habsi (shoulder) are all continuing to recover from their respective long-term injuries and won't play any part in the season opener.
- Several younger players could play a part in Saturday's game after playing at least some part in pre-season. Adam Buxton, Rakish Bingham, Danny Redmond, and Nouha Dicko all appeared throughout pre-season.
- Wigan has made nine new signings since the end of last season and the beginning of this season so expect to see as many as seven or even eight new players on the field tomorrow.
- Wigan are one of the favourites to gain promotion back to the Premier League and we boast he majority of our FA Cup winning team.
- Barnsley's main tranfer dealing involved Dale Jennings moving from Bayern Munich to the Tykes and he is expected to make his debut against Wigan on Saturday.
- With no less than five new signings, it could be a day dedicated to the debutant as all may play some part in the game.
- The Tykes do, however, have two injuries to contend with. Paul Digby (thigh) and Kelvin Etuhu (hamstring) are serious doubts.
- After an impressive end to last season, Barnsley will be looking to start this campaign in the same manner and show their fans that they can maybe push for a play-off place.