Wigan have always been labelled with 'No fans' or 'Rugby Town' but Wigan Athletic's attendances home and away have been growing, I have been part of my fair share of away days. What are the best though?
7. Old Trafford - Boxing Day 2011 - Even if we were on the wrong end of the thrashing, the sea of bananas that stood in the away end at Manchester United did not stop singing all game, the atmosphere was ecstatic and unforgettable. Yes the football was poor but a boxing day away day that is never to be forgotten.
6. Stoke - New Years' Eve 2011 - The famous 'Sit where you want' was in place at the Britannia. Wigan took the lead through Victor Moses and even when we went 2-1 it was a top away end atmosphere, good jokes with the adjacent home crowd and a nice modern stadium, a good match and somewhere I would look to go again.
5. Blackburn Rovers - May 7th 2012 - The penultimate game in the season where Latics' were the team to beat at the back of that season. 3000 fans travelled to Ewood Park, there was good voice from the Wigan faithful before the away end was sent in raptures after an Antolin Alcaraz injury time winner to keep Wigan up and send Rovers Down.
4. Derby County - January 1st 2014 - just under 1000 supporters at Pride Park this year where Derby was a fortress but a Jean Beausejour winner gave Uwe Rosler his 3rd three points. Overall a good day.
3. Arsenal - April 14th 2012 - A cold Monday night in North London, Wigan faced the impossible of trying to get a result at the Emirates Stadium but Wigan fired out the blocks, 2 goals in quick succession from Franco Di Santo and Jordi Gomez give Latics a 2-0 lead inside 10 minutes, the 200 fans that travelled couldn't believe we had taken the lead and hadn't finished celebrating the first when the second went in. 2-1 was the final score, Wigan claimed their first 3 points at Arsenal. What a day!
2. Everton - 9th March 2013 - FA Cup Quarter Final, A sold out away end at Goodison Park was in fine voice and was absolutely bouncing after 34 minutes. 3 goals in 3 minutes send Wigan fans into havoc, the result, the action, the voices and the atmosphere were phenomenal. Wigan's arguably best performance last season and a result well deserved.
1. Maribor - 12th December 2013 - A European Away Day that I will never forget, 1200 Latics Fans travelled to Slovenia and created a superb atmosphere. Thursday from start to finish was fantastic, the police escort was something else whilst the in stadium action was superb. It was my only european away day and I'll never forget that.
I've had other good away days such as Bolton, Huddersfield, Manchester City and Reading but the trips above are some of the best I've been on and I hope to add this Sunday to that list as Wigan Athletic attempt the impossible.
Tell me your best away day below.