clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Burton Albion 2-1 Wigan Athletic

Oh dear me! I said pre-match that I had a feeling we could be the team that was shocked into being the upset last night, well I wasn't wrong as the Brewers came from behind to beat us and move into the second round of the Capital One Cup.

Jordan Mansfield

Before the start of the game you wondered just how many changes Uwe Rosler would make, well the number was 10. Even so we saw a very strong second string team fielded, many of these players should have been showing the manager and fans that they should be pushing into the starting 11.

As you would expect with so many changes to the team it was going to take while for them to get use to each other and to get into a rhythm. Therefore a period of time where we just looked to keep the ball, play it simple and to try and work and opening within the Burton defense would surely be the first half an hour of the game.

Burton therefore the more settled team and looking to take the game to us. Ali Al Habsi, recently linked to a move to Celtic, having to be on his toes to make a few necessary saves. Wigan on the other hand didn't muster much going forward we look a bit sloppy once in the opposition half, and apart from a dangerous low curling cross from Patrick Taylor Sinclair we didn't give much of an account of ourselves.

Then 27 minutes in, the ever enthusiastic Marc Antoine Fortune latched onto a loose ball in the Burton box, and for once the striker dispatched the ball coolly and calmly; hopefully a sign of things to come from our striker. Taking the ball and hitting it low and hard into the bottom corner, a very clinical finish from the striker.

That seemed to make things click for Wigan going forward as we managed to start to get the ball moving a little bit quicker. Unfortunately for us we couldn't convert our chances, the best of which feel to Martyn Waghorn. The attacker found on the penalty spot by a Taylor Sinclair cross, Martyn couldn't turn the ball home with Burton goalkeeper McLaughlin catching at the second time.

Burton fought back though getting the equalizer before half time. Domonic Knowles turning the ball home from a low fired cross which caught the Wigan defense unaware, the Burton player allowed to get on the end of the cross with our lads not able to clear the ball.

It was Burton who would then go on to take the lead making it 2-1 after half time. Stuart Beavon, the on loan Preston North End player, turning the ball home after being found in space in front of goal. It was all going wrong and the chances that Wigan were missing looked like they were going to cost us the game.

On came the cavalry as Uwe Rosler turned to the player who isn't in his plans, Grant Holt coming off the bench. Wigan subsequently continued to hammer on the door trying to get that equalizer but not such goal was forthcoming.

Instead Burton were very happy to sit behind the ball and soak up the Wigan pressure till the end of the game, and that is just what they did. As the Brewers held out till the end of the game for them to take our scalp and make it though to the next round of the Capital One League Cup.