clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Fleetwood Town 1-3 Wigan Athletic

The last game of 2015 and after mixed form of the past month of so Wigan Athletic are looking to get back on track. With the Boxing Day game postponed Wigan were fresher going into this game and Gary Caldwell was looking for a response.

Jan Kruger/Getty Images

Gary Caldwell made not changes from the game against Barnsley were we ran out 2-0 winners. It was all about keeping the team consistent and finding that winning formula. That meant keeping Yanic Wildschut on the bench, with the speculation about is future still changing daily.

Our form of late hasn’t been as dominate or impressive as it once was, yet Gary Caldwell will be impressed with the way in which the team went about their business as they ran out comfortable 3-1 winners yesterday; although we had to do it the hard way.

A first half performance which only saw us take a 1-0 lead was always going to be precarious. Andy Kellet continuing his fine form going forward. For a left back he hasn’t been doing much defending for us. The wide man’s strike hit sweet enough that it beat Fleetwood’s keeper Chris Maxwell from just outside the penalty area.

The second half looked like it was only going to go one way. Wigan coming close to twice getting a second goal. Both Donervon Daniels and Will Power both hitting the cross bar early on in the second half. With both of the chances coming and going, you sensed the game could be getting away from us and well it nearly did.

Donervon Daniels giving away a penalty with 20 minutes to go which was astutely converted by Antoni Sarcevic to make the game 1-1.

That spurred the team on and combined with Gary Caldwell substitutions of Jordy Hiwula, Yanic Wildschut and Chris McCann the team started to motor a little bit more. The break through looked more likely to come and yet again it was that man Wildschut who provided the level of penetration the team needed. Cutting his way through the Fleetwood lines of defence the attacker took aim and struck towards goal. Maxwell making the save, only for the ball to bounce to Hiwula who pounced to turn it into the goal.

2-1 and with only a few minutes to go Fleetwood would come chase the game. As they did that, stretched their backline more. It meant there was plenty more room for our attackers to get forward. Hiwula was eventually released down the right hand-side of the Wigan Athletic attack. Micheal Jacobs was braking a gut to get down through the middle. Hiwula released Jacobs who kept his composure to slot the ball home.

That goal wrapped the game up and meant Wigan finished 2015 fifth in League One, eight points off the top of the table.