clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Match Report: Wigan Athletic 0-2 Derby County

The results went against us, and yesterday's lost was probably the inevitable nail in the coffin for us staying in the Championship. It was defiantly the final nail in the coffin for our manager who has since been moved on.

Ross Kinnaird/Getty Images

Two changes from the 1-0 defeat against Middlesbrough FC with William Kvist and Marc Antoine Fortune came back into the starting line up. Those changes made little or no difference, the team eventually succumbed to a Derby County who are chasing automatic promotion. The defeat now leaving us eight points from safety and it looking like that it could be it for us.

It is not to say that the team didn't perform well, it is not to the standard or style of play that we have come to expect of our teams down the years; but with the team so devoid of confidence they still kept going. The same problem keeps popping up time and time again though, who is going to put the ball in the back of the net for us.

That question could take on a whole new meaning in the weeks to come as this game proved to be Malcky Mackay's last as Wigan manager, maybe Martyn Waghorn will now see some game time. Not that he would necessary be the saviour to our team, but he could spark something into life in the final third.

The irony is that for 45 minutes the game did look fairly neck and neck. It was the introduction of one of Derby's strikers that changed the game and saw the points head to the Midlands.

Chris Martin who had been absent through injuries the past few weeks came off the bench at half time for Jamie Ward. The striker made an impact very quickly, scoring inside ten minutes of his arrival onto the pitch. His presence shook up our defensive two, and the combination of him and Darren Bent was too much for them to handle in the end.

The Rams would comfortably go on to win 2-0 in the second half. Martin's first a left footed effort which had Ali Al Habsi well beaten, whilst Darren Bent would finish the game off with a goal in the 81st minute; killing off any Wigan revival.

So we march on for another home win, and the boys upstairs begin their hunt for a new manager. Following all his post match commitments our manager was told that his services were no longer needed by the club.